Woad, Weapons & Warriors
Meet the Celts - the people who resisted the Romans
Monday 27 May - Tuesday 28 May
11am - 3pm
Free, donations welcome
Fire-pit storytelling every half hour
A fantastic two day event celebrating the indigenous Celtic tribes who were here at Roman occupation.
Discover how they lived and how they fought back. Try your hand at ancient Celtic art, everyday activities and fighting techniques.
- Get your hands on furs, gods and other everyday things
- Have your face painted by an ancient Briton with authentic natural dyes ‘woad’ in the style of a Celtic warrior (or any Celtic design) or try your own design
- Get up close to native Briton weaponry – handle a replica north England sword and other weapons. Enter the roped arena for target practice with your slingshots!
- Hear fearsome tales from Celtic storytelling warriors around the fire pit - discover Celtic warfare, and the true stories of the local tribes who lived here and revolted against the invading Romans. You’ll be invited to boast about your warrior status too.
Try your hand at:
- grinding corn to make flour for bread
- making a spindle for weaving
- creating shields and swords with Celtic designs